Ocean Predictions and Applications (OPA)
|Job Opening Code||6688|
|Grade||Junior/Senior research associate|
|CMCC Division||Ocean Predictions and Applications (OPA)|
|Publication Date||Dec. 4, 2017|
|Closing Date||Feb. 18, 2018|
2. About CMCC
CMCC is a non-profit research institution with the aim to investigate and model the climate system and its interactions with society and the environment. Its OPA division deals with the development of models and methods for interdisciplinary research on marine operational forecasting, on the development of services and applications for all maritime economy sectors, including transport. OPA contributes to the European service CMEMS (marine.copernicus.eu) with model products for both the Mediterranean and the Black Sea. Some community models and services developed by OPA are: www.visir-model.net, http://oceanlab.cmcc.it/sanifs/, http://oceanlab.cmcc.it/aifs/ www.sea-conditions.com, www.visir-nav.com, www.ocean-sar.com/, www.witoil.com/,
3. Your role and duties
This position is for two research associates (i.e., technical career at CMCC) with strong programming skills, in order to support both the research and operational activities of the OPA division. Depending on skills and needs, you might be engaged in porting/recoding/re-engineering/developing scientific software of ocean models and/or numerical applications, and in mantaining and updating the operational chains of the Division.
4. Your qualification and experience
It is required to hold following qualification:
- M. Sc. degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or Engineering
- experience with *nix shell scripting languages
- fluency in English
- significant professional record of software development activities
- experience and willingness to work on development of existing code
Furthermore, it is welcome that you have as much as possible of the following experience:
- experience in numerical coding for scientific purposes
- Knowledge of workflow management platforms
- solid mathematical background and attitude
- advanced knowledge of MATLAB® language and development environment
- advanced knowledge of python
- knowledge of compiled programming languages
- experience in parallel/computing on cluster/HCP architectures
- knowledge of version control systems
- knowledge of scientific visualization tools
- experience in managing/manipulating NetCDF data
- knowledge of GIS softwares
5. Other information
Belonging to legally protected categories (cf. Italian law 68/1999) will constitute a preferential condition.
The initial appointment is for twelve months, starting as soon as possible.
The location for this job is the CMCC OPA office in via A. Imperatore 16, Lecce (Italy).
The position is under the sponsorship of the projects: Copernicus Marine Services, AtlantOS (H-2020 project), AMARE (Med-Interreg Project), START and EcoSmartBreakwater (Apulia region clusters).
The annual salary will be ranged 28-36 kEUR for junior associates and 34-42 kEUR for senior associates.
6. How to apply
Applicants should register to CMCC JAM (Job Application Manager) website and fill the online form following the link below:
Applicants responding to this posting declare that they have read, understood and agreed to the “Official Rule for the CMCC Personnel recruitment” published to the following url: http://www.cmcc.it/jobs