In 2004, he got the Ph.D. degree in Innovative Materials and Technologies from the Istituto Superiore Universitario di Formazione Interdisciplinare (ISUFI) at the University of Lecce, Italy.
In 2006, he joined the Scientific Computing and Operations Division at the Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change (CMCC) leading the Scientific Data Management Research Group.
In 2012-2014 he also acted as Division Manager of the Scientific Computing and Operations Division at CMCC.
In January 2015, he has been appointed as Director of the Advanced Scientific Computing (formerly Scientific Computing and Operations).
His research activities focus on parallel, distributed, grid and cloud computing, in particular on distributed data management, data analytics/mining and high performance database management.
Since 2004, he has been involved into several national and international projects like: EGEE (the 3 cycles), EGI-InSPIRE, IS-ENES1 and IS-ENES2, EUBRAZILCC, EXARCH, ORIENTGATE, TESSA, CLIP-C working on data management topics such as: distributed information systems, parallel/cloud data analytics, caching systems, remote data processing, operational chains for environmental monitoring and forecasting, management of operational systems for climate data sharing – ESGF. He is also working as Scientific data management expert in the Weather, Climate and solid Earth Sciences European Working Group in the EU-FP7 EESI2 Project (European Exascale Software Initiative).
Since 2010, he is the Principal Investigator of the Ophidia project (www.ophidia.cmcc.it), a research project on high performance data analytics and mining for eScience.
Since 2011, he has been Visiting Scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory – LLNL (Livermore, CA, USA) working on proactive distributed monitoring systems in P2P environments and data-analytics framework for the analysis of CMIP5 data usage information.
He is author and co-author of more than 50 papers in refereed books/journals/proceedings on distributed and grid computing and holds a patent on data management topics. He is editor of the book “Grid and Cloud Database Management” (Springer, 2011).
He is ACM Member.
- RP0239 – Implementazione del sistema avanzato di gestione ed analisi dei dati. Seconda versione con funzionalità avanzate (v2.0)
- RP0237 – Array-based primitives in Ophidia v2.0
- RP0236 – Data and Metadata Operators in Ophidia v2.0
- RP0235 – Oph-Terminal: a client interface to the Ophidia parallel data analysis service
- Special Issue on Advances in High Performance Computing and Simulation
- A Bioinfomatics Grid Alignment Toolkit
- GReIC Data Storage: A Lightweight Disk Storage Management Solution for Bioinformatics “in silico” Experiments
- The GSI Plug-In for gSOAP: Building Cross-Grid Interoperable Secure Grid Services