- DKRZ - Deutsches KlimarechenzentrumGmbH
- ASC - Advanced Scientific Computing Division
- ODA - Ocean modeling and Data Assimilation
- CSP - Climate Simulation and Prediction Division
ESiWACE pursues the following objectives:
- to improve the efficiency and productivity of numerical weather and climate simulation on high-performance computing platforms.
- to foster the interaction between industry and the weather and climate community on the exploitation of high-end computing systems.
- to increase competitiveness and growth of the European HPC industry.
CMCC’s contribution to ESiWACE is dedicated to WP1, WP2, WP3 and WP4.
In particular, CMCC will participate to the following activities:
- Benchmark and computational performance optimization applied to the ESiWACE demonstrators
- Scheduling systems development
- Contribution to the implementation of a new storage layout for Earth System Data.
- Organization of annual workshops on “High Performance Computing for Climate and Weather”
ESiWACE aims to achieve three main results:
- Scalability of models, tools and data management on state-of-the-art HPC systems.
- Usability of models and tools throughout the European HPC eco-system.
- Exploitability of the huge amount of resulting data.
The work plan of ESiWACE is organized in five work packages (WP), three of which encompassing the bulk of the foreseen technical and scientific work (WP2, WP3, WP4) and two dealing with governance of ESiWACE products and services (WP1) and coordination of the project itself (WP5).
In particular, WP2 on “Scalability” deals with the performance analysis and improvement of high-resolution climate & weather models.
WP3 on “Usability” aims to considerably improve the ease-of-use of available tools, computing and data handling infrastructures.
WP4 on “Exploitability” tackles the major roadblocks that hinder efficient use of the considerable amounts of data produced by weather and climate simulations.
- ECMWF - European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts
- CNRS-IPSL - Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
- MPG - Max Planck Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der Wissenschaften E.V.
- CERFACS - Centre Européen de Recherche et de Formation Avancée en Calcul Scientifique
- BSC - Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputacion
- STFC - Science & Technology Facilities Concil
- MET OFFICE
- Uread - University Of Reading
- SMHI - Sveriges Meteorologiska och Hydrologiska Institut
- ICHEC - National University of Ireland
- DWD - Deutscher Wettwerdienst