CMCC is a non-profit research institution with the aim to investigate and model the climate system and its interactions with society and the environment. Its OPA (Ocean Predictions and Applications) Division deals with the development of models and methods for interdisciplinary research on marine operational forecasting, on the interactions between coastal areas and the open ocean, on the development of services and applications for all maritime economy sectors, including transport, security and management of coastal areas and marine resources, in the context of climate change adaptation problems.
Role and duties
This position is for a Post Degree or Post Doc (i.e., researcher career at CMCC) with a strong theoretical background and programming skills.
The primary purpose for this position is connected with the upgrade of an existing model internally developed for solving the estuarine water exchange: the salt wedge intrusion and the net riverine releas into the shelf sea are the main research topics to deal with. You will be engaged in the upgrade of the current estuary model for what concerns its physics and the coupling with the ocean modeling at river mouths.
You might also be involved in the design and testing of higher-level numerical models for solving the same research topics.
Qualification and experience
The minimum qualifications are:
- M.Sc. degree in Physics, Environmental Science or Engineering
- Good knowledge and experience with compiled programming languages, e.g. Fortran or Python, and with bash scripting
- Knowledge of ocean and/or hydrological modelling
- Good knowledge of both written and spoken English language
- Experience and willingness to work on development of existing code
The desired qualifications are:
- PhD in Geophysics or related disciplines
- Experience in numerical coding for scientific purposes
- Knowledge of scientific visualization tools
- Experience in managing/manipulating NetCDF data
Belonging to legally protected categories (cf. Italian law 68/1999) will constitute a preferential condition.
The initial appointment is for 12 months, starting as soon as possible.
The location for this job is the CMCC OPA office in via A. Imperatore 16, Lecce (Italy).
The annual salary will be ranged 22-36 kEUR depending on qualification and experience.
How to apply
Applicants should register to CMCC JAM (Job Application Manager) website and fill the online form following the link below:
Applicants responding to this posting declare that they have read, understood and agreed to the “Official Rule for the CMCC Personnel recruitment” published to the following url: