The Euro-Mediterranean Centre on Climate Change Foundation (CMCC Foundation) (www.cmcc.it) is the non profit Italian research centre on climate science and policy. Its activities focus on the development and applications of models of climate dynamics, impacts of climate change and adaptation and mitigation policies.
The CMCC is taking into consideration the possibility to hire two talented, motivated and proactive Junior Research Associates to join the system and operation team at the CMCC SuperComputing Center in order to perform system administration and operational support activities.
The location is the CMCC SuperComputing Center in Lecce, Complesso Ecotekne – Università del Salento, Strada Prov.le Lecce – Monteroni snc, Lecce, Italy.
The primary purpose for these positions is to perform system administration and operational support activities at the CMCC SuperComputing Center.
In particular, the main activities in which they will be involved are:
- Installing, configuring, and maintaining large computer clusters/servers and software;
- Day-to-day operations of the systems including systems administration, monitoring and storage performance including network components;
- Configuration and maintenance of the scheduling and queuing system;
- Diagnosing and resolving system operational problems quickly and effectively;
- Assist users with access and other help desk ticket requests or issues;
- Use scripting/programming skills to enable system-level automation, problem detection, security maintenance and patch management;
- Building and deploying open source software and software from vendors/partners;
- Providing reliable and efficient backups/restores for all managed systems;
- Documenting system administration procedures for routine and complex tasks;
- Maintaining and monitoring the security of the HPC systems and servers. Other duties as assigned.
The desired qualifications and skills are:
- B.Sc in Computer Engineering or Computer Science;
- Good knowledge of Linux system administration;
- Good knowledge of Linux commands and Bash scripting;
- Good knowledge of database systems administration (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Good knowledge of both written and spoken English language.
The following experience is also highly preferred:
- Experience with installing, configuring, and maintaining job management tools (such as SLURM, LSF, TORQUE, PBS,etc.);
- Experience with building and deploying open source software and software from vendors/partners;
- Experience configuring, installing and troubleshooting MPI and OpenMP;
- Experience with operating system deployment tools (e.g. XCAT, ROCKS);
- Experience configuring, administering, and supporting network storage subsystems (e.g. IBM, NetApp, DataDirect Network, LSI, etc.);
- Experience with the implementation, management and monitoring of virtual environments (VMware ESxi, KVM, etc.).
Belonging to legally protected categories (ex L. 68/99) will constitute a preferential condition.
The initial appointment is for 7 months starting from June 2019 at an annual salary ranging from 22K to 28K Euros, comprehensive of benefits, depending on qualification and experience.
How to Apply
Applicants should register to CMCC JAM (Job Application Manager) website and fill the online form following the link below:
Applicants responding to this posting declare that they have read, understood and agreed to the “Official Rule for the CMCC Personnel recruitment” published to the following url: https://www.cmcc.it/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Guidelines_for_recruiting19072016_ENG.pdf