Viale Trieste 127, 01100 Viterbo, Italy
+39 0761 309587
Antonio Bombelli is the Director of the IAFES Division at CMCC. He has a degree in Biological Sciences and a PhD in Plant Sciences.
His background concerns Plant Ecophysiology, Forestry, and Carbon Cycle, particularly with regard to terrestrial ecosystems response to natural and anthropogenic stress, including climate change. He has almost 20 years’ experience in writing, coordinating and implementing national and international projects.
He worked at the University of Rome “La Sapienza” (1999-2004) on the plant adaptive strategies to natural and anthropogenic stress in the Mediterranean area. He worked (2005-2011) at the University of Tuscia (Viterbo, Italy) on the scientific coordination of several projects in the field of ecology, forestry, carbon cycle and climate change. He was a consultant (2006-2011) of the Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations (FAO), working on the coordination of the Global Terrestrial Observing System (GTOS) programme, its Terrestrial Carbon Observations (TCO) initiative, and the Essential Climate Variables (ECVs).
His long track record of project coordination is demonstrated by his responsibilities as project manager of, among others, 3 EC funded projects: CARBOAFRICA (FP6), ClimAfrica (FP7) and GEOCARBON (FP7). He is the co-leader of GEO Carbon and GHG Initiative of the GEO (Group on Earth Observations) Work Plan. He is member of the General Assembly of ICOS-ERIC (Integrated Carbon Observing System – European infrastructure).
In the frame of the above mentioned project and activities he gained significant experience in managing the relationships with the project stakeholders, networking and organizing relevant activities and events, with a particular focus on Sub-Saharan Africa.
He is Work Package leader of the EC H2020 Project SEACRIFOG – Supporting EU-African Cooperation on Research Infrastructures for Food Security and Greenhouse Gas Observations.
- Towards a feasible and representative pan-African research infrastructure network for GHG observations
- The expansion of wheat thermal suitability of Russia in response to climate change
- Exploring the relationship between canopy height and terrestrial plant diversity
- A full greenhouse gases budget of Africa: synthesis, uncertainties, and vulnerabilities
- GlobAllomeTree: international platform for tree allometric equations to support volume, biomass and carbon assessment
- Current systematic carbon-cycle observations and needs for implementing a policy-relevant carbon observing system
- An outlook on the Sub-Saharan Africa carbon balance
- The carbon balance of Africa: Synthesis of recent research studies