Marco Mancini is a Senior Scientist leading the activities of the “Production Platforms for Operational Services” (PPOS) research unit, with focus on the development of innovative ICT digital platforms to support operational environments and eco-systems at CMCC in different sectors (agriculture, climate, disaster risk reduction, water management, etc.).
His expertise concerns Cloud computing, container orchestration, Internet of Things, advanced data acquisition/management and analytics, high performance computing and he has been involved at CMCC into national and international projects: TESSA, EUBrazilCC, OFIDIA Interreg, Copernicus Med-MFC, GWP-Med NCWR – Non-Conventional Water Resources Programme.
In 1996, he graduated cum laude in Computer Science Engineering at the University of Bologna and in 2001 he received his Ph.D. in Computer Science and System Engineering from the University of Calabria. Afterwards, he was Visiting Researcher at the Argonne National Laboratory (Chicago, US) and the University of Aachen (Germany), adjunct professor and research fellow at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Calabria. He has also been a freelance ICT consultant for government and telecommunication companies. He had an appointment from November 2015 to November 2016 as Chief Technology Officer at the CMCC Supercomputing Center.
He is the author of several scientific papers in the field of scientific and high-performance computing, Cloud computing, data management and analytics. As for his current engagement in professional services, he contributes to the OpenNebula project as a Community Champion and he is a member of the IoTBDS (International Conference on Internet of Things, Big Data and Security) program committee.
- VHR-REA_IT Dataset: Very High Resolution Dynamical Downscaling of ERA5 Reanalysis over Italy by COSMO-CLM
- Future rainfall scenarios for the assessment of water availability in Italy
- An Open Source and Low-Cost Internet of Things-enabled Service for Irrigation Management
- Big data analytics for climate change and biodiversity in the EUBrazilCC federated cloud infrastructure
- A multi-service data management platform for scientific oceanographic products
- The OFIDIA Fire Danger Rating System