Giovanni Coppini holds a PhD in Environmental Sciences from the University of Bologna. Since 2003 he’s been working as Technologist at INGV in the operational oceanography division, where he was responsible for environmental applications such as oil spill forecasting and environmental indicators.
He has being representing INGV and then CMCC in the European Topic Centre – Inland, Coastal and Marine waters (ETC-ICM) project of the European Environment Agency and in MyOcean as responsible for the liaisons with Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES) Ocean Service (MyOcean) and the development of climate and environmental indicators. He has being representing INGV in the collaboration agreement among INGV and Italian Coast Guard.
He’s been managing director in MFSTEP EU project and has contributed to the management of several international Projects.
He is the Emergency Response Office (ERO) Manager in the Mediterranean Oceanography Network for GOOS (MONGOOS) and Regional Marine Pollution Emergency Response Centre for the Mediterranean Sea (REMPEC) collaboration Agreement.
Since 2004 he was collaborating in the management of the Italian National Group of Operational Oceanography (8 Institutes). Since 2012 he is co-chair of MONGOOS.
His field of expertise is oil spill emergency management at sea and development of environmental and climate change ocean indicators based on operational oceanography observations, modelling products and climate re-analyses.
In September 2012 he has started collaborating with CMCC to direct the Operational Oceanography Laboratory OCEAN-LAB.
He is Member of the JCOMM Expert Team on Maritime Safety Services (ETMSS) and he represents Cmcc within EuroGOOS (European Global Ocean Observing System).
Currently at CMCC he is director of OPA Division (Ocean Predictions and Applications).
- A box model to represent estuarine dynamics in mesoscale resolution ocean models
- Marine litter in the Croatian part of the middle Adriatic Sea: Simultaneous assessment of floating and seabed macro and micro litter abundance and composition.
- Are Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas sheltered from plastic pollution?
- Challenges for Sustained Observing and Forecasting Systems in the Mediterranean Sea
- Low Carbon Intensity Routes via Ocean Currents and Waves
- River runoff influences on the Central Mediterranean overturning circulation
- A multi-service data management platform for scientific oceanographic products
- Introducing sailboats into ship routing system VISIR
- VISIR: technological infrastructure of an operational service for safe and efficient navigation in the Mediterranean Sea
- Drift simulation of MH370 debris using superensemble techniques