Simona Masina (female) Ph.D. Princeton University, Director of the Ocean Modelling and Data Assimilation Division of the Euro-Mediterranean Centre on Climate Change Foundation and Senior Researcher at the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology. Her scientific interests focus on the understanding of the ocean role in the global climatic system.
She has more than 20 years of experience in global ocean modelling and ocean data assimilation. In 2014 she coordinated the first PRACE project awarded to CMCC to set up the basis of a NEMO based high-resolution ocean forecasting system which is now operational at CMCC. She has been involved in several EU project (among the latest MyOcean and CRESCENDO) and more recently in the COPERNICUS Marine Environment Monitoring Service (CMEMS) and Climate Change Service (C3S) for the provision of NEMO based global ocean reanalyses. She is author of more than 100 scientific papers in refereed journals.
She teaches the course “Ocean Dynamics” at the Università di Venezia Ca’ Foscari, in the “Science and Management of Climate Change” Ph.D. Programme and is member of the Faculty Board since 2006. She is representative at the “Commissione Oceanografica Italiana” (Italian IOC-UNESCO), and member of the Scientific Council of Mercator Ocean International (MOI) since June 2018.
- A High Resolution Reanalysis for the Mediterranean Sea
- The Copernicus Marine Service from 2015 to 2021: six years of achievements
- Summertime sea-ice prediction in the Weddell Sea improved by sea-ice thickness initialization
- Climate Signals in the Black Sea From a Multidecadal Eddy-Resolving Reanalysis
- Monitoring and Forecasting the Ocean State and Biogeochemical Processes in the Black Sea: Recent Developments in the Copernicus Marine Service
- Understanding Sea Level Processes During Western Mediterranean Storm Gloria
- Evaluation of global ocean–sea-ice model simulations based on the experimental protocols of the Ocean Model Intercomparison Project phase 2 (OMIP-2)
- Decadal variability of the Kuroshio Extension: The response of the jet to increased atmospheric resolution in a coupled ocean-atmosphere model.
- Interannual to decadal variability within and across the major Eastern Boundary Upwelling Systems
- Drivers and impact of the seasonal variability of the organic carbon offshore transport in the Canary Upwelling System