The EAERE-ETH Winter School in Resource and Environmental Economics (27 January – 1 February 2019, Ascona, Switzerland) will focus on the public policies that support the transition to a greener energy mix. Public policies that aim not only to reduce the carbon footprint of electricity generation but also to improve air quality through less nitrogen oxides, sulphur oxides and particulate matters. The lectures will examine the emergence, design and impacts of those public policies including carbon trades, cap-and-trade, emission standards, subsidies to R&D, feed-in tariffs and renewable portfolio standards, intellectual property rights for green innovations. Both theoretical and empirical approaches will be covered.
Stefan Ambec – School Coordinator » Toulouse School of Economics Dealing with Intermittent Renewables
Jessica Coria » University of Gothenburg
Regulation of Multiple Pollutants
Antoine Dechezleprêtre » London School of Economics
Innovation and Environmental Policy
Matthieu Glachant » MinesParisTech
Energy Efficiency: Theory and Empirics
Itziar Lazkano » University of Wisconsin
Technical Change in the Electricity Sector
The Winter School is targeted to doctoral and post-doctoral students of all levels. In order to apply please send the following documents (in one single pdf file) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- your curriculum vitae;
- a letter of reference from your supervisor;
- for postdocs: a research paper (authored or coauthored, draft versions possible);
- for PhD students: course grades from the last two years, resp. the last academic degree and, if available, a first draft of an own research paper.
The deadline for applications is September 14th, 2018.
Accepted applicants will be requested to register and pay a participation fee of CHF 300. The participation fee includes:
- attendance fee;
- downloadable course material;
- participation diploma.
The School organizers will provide:
- accommodation in double rooms shared with Winter School colleagues for the duration of the School (from January 27, 2019 for 5 nights); single rooms can be provided on request: extra costs are to be covered by the applicant; please note that the number of single rooms is limited: requests for single room booking will be dealt with on a first come, first served basis;
- breakfasts, lunches and dinners included in the School programme.
Successful candidates will receive information about modes of payment once admitted to the School. Due to the tight budget conditions we will be unable to provide any travel grants.
Winter school regulation
Participation is restricted to 2019 EAERE members. Information on how to become an EAERE member is available on the EAERE website. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. All accepted applicants must attend the Winter School for its entire duration: they are requested to arrive on January 27, 2019 and depart on February 1, after lunch. All accepted applicants will be required to pay a participation fee of CHF 300. Accepted applicants who do not respect the stated deadlines will not be admitted. Presentation of a reaserch paper is voluntary. As the School will be conducted in English, applicants should have an adequate working knowledge of that language.
1. September 14th, 2018: Deadline for applications
2. October 2nd, 2018: Acceptance notification
3. October 21st, 2018: Deadline for payment of the participation fee. Accepted applicants who do not respect deadlines 1 and 3 will not be admitted.
4. Deadline for presentations’ title to be included in the programme: December 10th, 2018: email the title to email@example.com (please note that this is a non-mandatory deadline).