The CMCC is taking into consideration the possibility to hire talented, motivated and proactive researchers to cover two open positions on data assimilation and ocean modeling.
The location is the CMCC – Ocean Modeling and Data Assimilation Division in Bologna, Italy.
The primary purpose for this position is to perform research, development and assessment of the variational data assimilation system currently used at CMCC for reanalyses and operational forecasting. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be asked to guide the research to operations transitions of the developed data assimilation systems.
The minimum qualifications are:
- PhD in Physics, Physical Oceanography, Applied Mathematics, or related disciplines with a
research background in oceanography and/or data assimilation;
- Knowledge of programming languages (i.e. Fortran);
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux operating systems and script languages;
- Fluency in English.
The following experiences are highly desirable:
- Experiences with data assimilation techniques for geophysical fields;
- Hands-on experience with ocean numerical modeling, experience with the NEMO modeling platform being an advantage;
- Experience with operational forecasting systems, from input data quality control to evaluation of analyses and reanalyses quality;
- Experience of parallel programming on supercomputers and knowledge of the NetCDF libraries;
- Good knowledge of scientific software (such as Python, NCO, CDO, MatLab, R, etc.);
- Good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
Belonging to legally protected categories (ex L. 68/99) will constitute a preferential condition.
The initial appointment is for 24 months, starting as soon as possible, at an annual salary which will depend on qualification and experience. For scientists (preferable) the annual salary range offered is between 43K to 60K Euros, for young scientists is between 33K and 42K Euros, comprehensive of benefits.
How to Apply
Applicants should register to CMCC JAM (Job Application Manager) website and fill the online form following the link below. Informal enquires can be directed to Dr. Simona Masina (email@example.com) but applications must be submitted through the online system. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants responding to this posting declare that they have read, understood and agreed to the “Official Rule for the CMCC Personnel recruitment” published to the following url: https://www.cmcc.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Reclutamento_Personale_EN.pdf