Antonio Bombelli – Director IAFES Division – CMCC Foundation – Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change
Maria Vincenza Chiriacò – Researcher IAFES Division – CMCC Foundation Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change
Martial Bernoux – Natural Resources Officer, Climate And Environment Division, FAO
The historic Koronivia Joint Work on Agriculture (KJWA) decision, adopted at COP 23, recognizes the fundamental importance of agriculture in tackling climate change. The KJWA calls for joint work between the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advise (SABSTA) and the Subsidiary Body of Implementation (SBI) with the aim to take into consideration the vulnerabilities of agriculture to climate change and approaches to address food security.
Paragraph 2 of the KJWA decision provides a list of initial elements on which Parties and observers to the UNFCCC were invited to submit their views:
- (a) Modalities for implementation of the outcomes of the five in-session workshops on issues related to agriculture and other future topics that may arise from this work;
- (b) Methods and approaches for assessing adaptation, adaptation co-benefits and resilience;
- (c) Improved soil carbon, soil health and soil fertility under grassland and cropland as well as integrated systems, including water management;
- (d) Improved nutrient use and manure management towards sustainable and resilient agricultural systems;
- (e) Improved livestock management systems;
- (f) Socioeconomic and food security dimensions of climate change in the agricultural sector.
FAO in collaboration with CMCC produced a summary of the submissions provided by Parties and observers to the UNFCCC on the element 2 (a) above discussed during the SABSTA 49 (COP 24, Poland 2018). The summary aims to make the wide range of views submitted more easily accessible to all interested and to support efforts to identify a joint way forward for climate action in the agricultural sectors.
12:00 pm – Welcome – Antonio Bombelli (CMCC)
12.05 pm – Intro from the moderator – Martial Bernoux (FAO)
12:10 pm – Presenter’s talk Maria Vincenza Chiriacò (CMCC)
12:30 pm – Q&A moderated by Martial Bernoux (FAO)
12:50 pm – End of Webinar
Working language: English
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
The seminar will be broadcasted via Go-to-Webinar.
Please, click on the following link for registration:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Coordinating the Mitigation of Climate Change in Agriculture (MICCA) Programme since October 2015. A former high level scientist working for the French Research Institute for Development (IRD) with more than 200 research papers, books and chapters. Led research projects in South America and Africa for 20 years. Has a strong experience of UNFCCC and UNCDD (a member of its Science-Policy Interface). Collaborates with IPCC since 2002. Before joining NRC, he worked from 2009 as developer of the FAO Ex-Ante Carbon-balance Tool (EX-ACT).
12:00 p.m. CET - 12:00 p.m. CET -
7 Mar 2019
- CMCC - Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici
- FAO - Climate and Environment Division (CBC)