Jaroslav Mysiak is the director of the research division ‘Risk assessment and adaptation strategies’ at the Euro-Mediterranean Centre on Climate Change (CMCC), and external teacher at the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice. Jaroslav holds a PhD from the University of Goettingen (Germany) and MSc. from the Technical University Zvolen (Slovakia).
Jaroslav is member of the European Science and Technology Advisory Group (E-STAG) and coordinating lead author of the report State of Science on DRR 2020. Previously he acted as coordinating author of the European Environment Agency (EEA) on synergies between climate adaptation and disaster risk reduction; lead author of the report State of Science on Disaster Risk Reduction (chapter Risk financing and transfer) of the European Commission’s Disaster Risk Management Knowledge Centre (DRMKC); lead author of the 2014 Italian climate adaptation strategy (chapter on Po river basin district) and the 2016 Italian climate adaptation plan (chapter water resources); and contributing author to a number of projects feeding into the EU 2013 Water Policy Review and the EU Climate Adaptation Strategy.
Jaroslav is an expert of the European Environmental Agency’s Topic Center on Climate Change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation (ETC-CCA), and past manager of the task DRR and climate extremes. He is also a member of the EU Disaster Loss Data System working group. He acted as team leader of the UNDP coordinated project’s developing the disaster risk reduction strategy and action plan for the Republic of Mauritius, and contributed to similar assessments elsewhere (e.g. Nigeria, St. Lucia). He coordinated several European Framework Programme projects, including (H2020 CLARA 2017-2020, FP7 ENHANCE 2012-2016 – as deputy, FP7 EPI-WATER 2011-2013, FP7 XEROCHORE 2009-2011), as well as other international projects such as (EC PREEMPT 2010-2011, IWRMnet WATER2ADAPT 2010-2011, and Climate KIC COSTADAPT 2015 and PLACES 2017). He contributed to a large number of other projects.
Jaroslav acted as the board member of the Environmental Modelling and Software journal and Water Economics and Policy journal and is currently a member of the editorial board of Climate Services. He used to be member of the scientific advisory board of the EU Programme People (2007-2010). He is also member of scientific advisory boards to several organisations and projects.
- Financial liability for environmental damage: insurance market in Italy, focus on Veneto region experience
- Competence analysis for promoting energy efficiency projects in developing countries: The case of OPEC
- Constructing a comprehensive disaster resilience index: The case of Italy
- Testing empirical and synthetic flood damage models: the case of Italy
- An assessment framework for climate-proof nature-based solutions
- Mapping Socioeconomic Exposure for Flood Risk Assessment in Italy
- Climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction in Europe Enhancing coherence of the knowledge base, policies and practices, European Environment Agency Report No 15/2017
- Comparing adaptive capacity index across scales: The case of Italy
- Climate risk index for Italy
- Integrating human behaviour dynamics into flood disaster risk assessment