The project is aimed at environmental quality monitoring in urban contexts, with particular reference to air, noise pollution and ultraviolet radiation (UV rays), through the implementation and testing of innovative tools and methods.
18 months from 01/06/2018 to 17/04/2020
APOLLON is aimed at the implementation and testing of innovative tools and methods for the monitoring of environmental quality in urban contexts, with particular reference to air and noise pollution and ultraviolet radiation (UV rays). The monitoring network will consist of a software platform able to correlate the flow of information collected by the sensors with other information sources through the use of semantic technologies and tools for the management and analysis of geo-referenced data.
Main skills pertaining to the project:
- Understanding and management of weather and climate data.
- Time-to-solution optimization of forecast models.
- Design of complex systems for scientific data management.
- Design of processes and algorithms for multi-dimensional analysis of scientific data in parallel and HPC environments.
- Definition of complex experiments aimed at the analysis of forecast data through the setup of operational chains (workflows).
CMCC participates in:
- OR2: state of the art assessment and analysis of System requirements
- OR4: design and implementation of the data acquisition and Big Data management layer
- OR5: design and implementation of a system for semantic analysis, processing and sharing of pollution data
The activities CMCC will be involved in are:
- Techniques for the analysis and improvement of the computational efficiency of the forecasting weather model on HPC systems
- Techniques for the optimized management of weather forecasting data and definition of the supporting data archive
- Definition of algorithms and processes for scientific data analytics and array analysis on a parallel HPC infrastructure
- Modeling of a workflow automation manager for the optimized scheduling of operations on a parallel HPC infrastructure
- Weather model simulation, workflow implementation for forecast data analysis
- Development of interfaces for accessing weather forecast data
- Contribution to monitoring and assessing critical and persistent environmental situations related to air quality
- Implementing local forecast models of air quality and air and noise pollution
- Contribution to encouraging citizens to adopt good practices concerning the reduction of air and noise pollution
- Identifying the correlations among the level of pollutants in the atmosphere and anthropic causes, weather conditions and stational features.
- Providing the competent administration with IT tools allowing the adoption of proper measures for the protection of citizens’ health
- Raising public awareness of the damages to health caused by air pollution, by providing citizens with information tools to keep a close watch on the limits set by the existing rules
- CORVALLIS S.P.A. (Coordinator)
- ALBA PROJECT S.r.l.
- HESPLORA S.r.l.
- AMIGO CLIMATE S.r.l.
- POLITECNICO DI BARI – Dipartimento di Ingegneria Elettrica e dell’Informazione (DEI)
- CINI – Consorzio Interuniversitario Nazionale per l’Informatica
- CMCC – Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici