The project aims to evaluate the role of energy production from waste in order to achieve climate change mitigation for Italy.
6 months from 01/04/2009 to 01/10/2009
Evaluate the role of energy production from waste in order to achieve climate change mitigation commitments for Italy.
Through an improved version of the dynamic-recursive computational general economic equilibrium model ICES, the project aims to assess the reduction in the economic costs of mitigation policies due to the development in Italy of energy from waste, given the reduction in the use of fossil fuels for energy production and the related reduction in greenhouse gases.
CMCC responsible of WP1, 4 and 5 and partner of WP2 and 3:
- Energy sector in Italy
- Waste management in Italy
- Energy production from waste
- The extended economic model and the definition of the reference scenario
- Assessment of energy production from waste in the context of climate change mitigation policies for Italy
- Final report: “Energy from waste in Italy: potential production and contribution to climate change mitigation policies”.
- Event for the presentation of the projects’ results : “Verso il 2020 con più energia: Quale contributo dai rifiuti?”, Rome, December 3rd 2009, Unioncamere – Piazza Sallustio, 21
- Event for the presentation of the final project’s output: “Recupero di energia e materia dai rifiuti: aspetti economici e rilevanza per le politiche ambientali e climatiche”, Milano, 24 maggio 2010, Politecnico di Milano – Piazza Leonardo da Vinci, 32
- Overview of the energy sector in Italy (energy supply and demand; power supply and demand) and related environmental impact in terms of greenhouse gases;
- Development of the ICES model by means of modelling explicitly the power production form waste;
- Definition and calibration of both reference and mitigation macroeconomic scenario;
- Assessment of the role of the energy production from waste in Italy in order to achieve the climate change mitigation targets.