The European Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service – CMEMS provides daily ocean forecasting products which support applications dealing with societal challenges such as maritime safety, coastal and marine environment management, climate change assessment and marine resources protection and management. These applications based on CMEMS products foster the development of Blue Growth – the European the long term strategy to support sustainable growth in the marine and maritime sectors as a whole – in the field of tourism, navigation and maritime transport, off-shore activities, marine environment and coastal spatial planning and protection.
Researcher Giovanni Coppini, CMCC OPA Division Director, presented several examples of Blue Growth related services developed in the framework of the CMCC Ocean Lab activities and projects, during the webinar titled “Blue Growth: science, society and innovation. A focus on the Mediterranean and Black Sea”.
Watch the video:
Explore the main features of:
- SeaConditions (www.sea-conditions.com), a service providing ocean and weather forecasts at sea, an application aiming to provide a user-friendly experience, allowing quick and easy display of data and access to information;
- VISIR®, a service for computation of safe and efficient nautical routes in the Mediterranean Sea;
- OCEAN-SAR (www.ocean-sar.com), a service provided to support maritime authorities and operational centers during search-and-rescue operations;
- WITOIL (www.witoil.com), a service to deliver and disseminate the prediction of the transport and transformation of actual or hypothetical oil spills in the Mediterranean Sea and its possible expansion to the Black Sea;
- START, a decision support system for coastal and harbours management and protection.