via Maiorise I-81043 Capua (CE), Italy
+39 0823 623337
Dr. Paola Mercogliano is a senior researcher with more than 12 years of research experience.
She works at CMCC as head of the REgional Model and geo-Hydrological Impacts Division and at C.I.R.A. (Italian Aerospace Research Centre) as Head of research laboratory “Meteo System & Instrumentation Laboratory”.
Her main areas of competence include development and use of statistical and dynamical methods and tools for regionalization of the climatic signal up to urban areas, qualitative and quantitative analysis of the variation of landslide, flood and hydrological drought hazards induced by climate change, development of GIS tools for post processing and visualization of observed and simulated atmospherical data.
She leads a research group (12-14 staff members) working on development of tools for observation and nowcasting of weather hazards event using multi-sensor satellite and multi-platform in- situ observations, development and optimization of limited area NWP model, regional climate models, Stability Analyses, Hydrologic & Hydraulic models. Furthermore the research group is expert in the development of numerical simulation chains, including climate and impact models, for the quantitative evaluation of the climate change soil impact.
Paola participated in several European and other international projects. Among these projects there is the FP7 INTACT. Here, she coordinates the work package on weather extreme and climate changes. In the past she had the responsibility of the work package on short-term weather forecasting for shallow landslide prediction in the FP7 SafeLand and participated to the FP7 projects CLUVA, IS-ENES, ALICIA.
More recently, she has been collaborating as expert climatologist for the DRR Republic of Mauritius project and for the European Commission-DG Environment funded EU FOREST project, concerning the study of the influences on weather patterns of European forests.
Actually she is involved in the activities (technical and managerial issues) of the projects PERSEUS, NEXTDATA and ORIENTGATE.
Paola holds a Master degree in Physics from the University of Naples “Federico II” and a Master in Computational Fluid Dynamics For Industrial Application And University Research at the Research Centre for advanced studies of Sardinia (C.R.S.4).
After that she has been weather forecaster and analyst of COSMO model in A.R.P.A. Piedmont for about 2 years, she won a 1 year fellowship at the Earth Simulator Centre (E.S.C.) in Yokohama (Japan) in the meteorological group.
She is member from 2003 of the European consortium COSMO (Consortium for Small-scale Modelling), aimed to the development of the operational limited area model COSMO LM and from 2008 of the CLM Assembly for the development of the regional climate model COSMO-CLM. Paola was also member of the Organizing committee for the International CLM General Assembly 2011. She speaks fluently English and is a native Italian speaker.
- Parametric investigation of Urban Heat Island dynamics through TEB 1D model for a case study: assessment of adaptation measures
- Assessing variations of extreme indices inducing weather-hazards on critical infrastructures over Europe—the INTACT framework
- Climate Change
- A dynamic viticultural zoning to explore the resilience of terroir concept under climate change
- Evaluation of regional COSMO-CLM climate simulations over the Eastern Mediterranean for the period 1979–2011
- Extreme weather events over China: assessment of COSMO CLM simulations and future scenarios
- Effects of climate change on shallow landslides in a small coastal catchment in southern Italy
- Potential effects of climate changes on soil–atmosphere interaction and landslide hazard
- Simulations of quantitative shift in bio-climatic indices in the viticultural areas of Trentino (Italian Alps) by an open source R package
- Scenari di cambiamenti climatici nel periodo 2021-2050: quale disponibilità idrica del fiume Po?