48 Months from 01/12/2018 to 30/11/2022
- Develop a new stable and scalable NEMO reference code with improved performances adapted to exploit future HPC technologies in the context of CMEMS systems;
- Develop NEMO for the challenges of delivering ocean state estimates and forecasts describing ocean dynamics and biogeochemistry at kilometric scale with improved accuracy;
- Prepare the exploitation of the next generation of high resolution observing networks within CMEMS systems and in detailed, downstream modelling systems;
- Develop a flexible and generic software tools series for interfacing CMEMS observation and model-based products and detailed, downstream modelling systems;
- Provide proven model code and software tools with assessments suitable for rapid deployment in CMEMS.
CMCC leads WP4 (Preparing CMEMS for future HPC infrastructures) and WP7 (Integrating model based products and high resolution EO datasets for downstream applications), and participates to WP4, WP5 (Modelling key interaction processes at the interfaces at kilometric resolution), WP6 (Demonstrating impact of NEMO developments on CMEMS model based systems) and WP7 research activities. CMCC is within the Scientific Coordination Board that will assist the Scientific Coordinator in supervising on-going activity and in preparing the General Assembly.
To deliver innovative developments to NEMO and at its interfaces for future CMEMS Earth Observations and computing platforms. CMCC is responsible of a set of milestones and deliverables.
CMCC activities will mainly focus on:
- Technical solutions to fully exploit memory hierarchies and hardware peak performance (WP4, task 4.1);
- Improvement of NEMO I/O management and diagnostics for operational systems (WP4, task 4.3);
- Interactions between waves and O/A boundary layers processes (WP5, task 5.2);
- Efficient and flexible interface with biogeochemical models (WP5, task 5.3);
- Sea-Ice Rheology for high-resolution (WP5, task 5.4);
- Impact of NEMO developments on a regional forecast framework (WP6, task 6.1);
- Impact of NEMO developments on the global forecasts framework (WP6, task 6.3);
- Prototype toolbox for seamless uptake of CMEMS products in downstream monitoring systems (WP7, task 7.3).
- MERCATOR OCEAN
- MET OFFICE
- BSC - Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputacion
- INRIA - Institut National de recherche en Informatique et Automatique
- Puertos del Estado
- GEOMAR - Helmholtz-Zentrum für Ozeanforschung Kiel
- Alma Mater Studiorum - Università di Bologna
- Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht Zentrum FuEr Material-Und Kuestenforshung GmbH
- UU - Universiteit Utrecht
- PML - Plymouth Marine Laboratory