The oil spill model code MEDSLIK-II (De Dominicis et. al 2013, Part 1 and Part 2), based on its precursor oil spill model MEDSLIK (Lardner and Zodiatis 1998; Lardner et al. 2006; Zodiatis et al. 2008) is a freely available community model. It is designed to be used to predict the transport and weathering of an oil spill, using a lagrangian representation of the oil slick.
The development of the MEDSLIK-II model is supported by a formal agreement (Memorandum of Agreement for the Operation and Continued Development of MEDSLIK-II) signed by the following institutions:
- CMCC – Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici
- INGV – Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
- CNR-IAMC – Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche – Istituto per lo Studio dell’Ambiente Marino Costiero
- OC-UCY – Oceanography Center at the University of Cyprus
MEDSLIK-II simulates the transport of the surface slick governed by the water currents and by the wind. Oil particles are also dispersed by turbulent fluctuation components that are parameterized with a random walk scheme. In addition to advective and diffusive displacements, the oil spill particles change due to various physical and chemical processes that transform the oil (evaporation, emulsification, dispersion in water column, adhesion to coast). MEDSLIK-II includes a proper representation of high frequency currents and wind fields in the advective components of the lagrangian trajectory model, the introduction of the Stokes drift velocity and the coupling with the remote-sensing data.
Input and Output
MEDSLIK-II requires as input the oil spill data, the wind field, the sea surface temperature and the three-dimensional sea currents. MEDSLIK-II can make use of atmospheric wind and oceanographic fields (i.e. currents, temperature) from several different sources. The oil spill data required to define a numerical oil spill initial condition are: location, time and area of the spill, as well as the age of the oil spill from initial arrival in the sea. This information can be easily provided to MEDSLIK-II by satellite monitoring systems MEDSLIK-II produces as output the oil properties evolution and the position, every hour and for the next days, of the surface, dispersed oil and of the oil arrived on the coasts.
Schematic of MEDSLIK-II oil spill model
MEDSLIK-II oil spill model conceptual basis
Some Output Example
Output example of a simulation initialized using satellite images: maps of oil concentration at the surface (black arrows represent the current field and the blue arrow is the wind speed at the centre of the slick). The shape of the slick has been initialized from satellite image data: MEDSLIK-II reads the slick polygonal coordinates from satellite data and distributes the spill parcels randomly into the slick area.
MEDSLIK-II has been used to forecast the possible spill of the 2500 tons of oil from the Costa Concordia, assuming a continuous oil release. Every day, until the unloading operations had run out, a bulletin with the forecast scenario for the next 72 hours has been released to the competent authorities. In this movie an example of maps of oil concentration at the surface are displayed: black arrows represent the current field and the blue arrow is the wind speed at the centre of the slick.Contacts
- De Dominicis, M., Pinardi, N., Bruciaferri, D., Liubartseva, S., 2015. "Numerical modelling for real-time forecasting of marine oil pollution and hazard assessment" . Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol.17, EGU2015-12024.
- Liubartseva , S., De Dominicis, M., Oddo, P., Coppini, G., Pinardi, N., Greggio, N., 2015. "Oil spill hazard from dispersal of oil along shipping lanes in the Southern Adriatic and Northern Ionian Seas". Marine Pollution Bulletin, doi: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.10.039
- Samaras, A. G., De Dominicis, M., Archetti, R., Lamberti, A., Pinardi, N., 2014. "Towards improving the representation of beaching in oil spill models: A case study". Marine Pollution Bulletin, Volume 88, Issues 1-2, Pages 91-101, doi: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.09.019
- Snow, B. J., Moulitsas, I., Kolios, A. J., De Dominicis, M., 2014. "CranSLIK v1.0: stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods". Geosci. Model Dev., 7, 1507-1516, doi:10.5194/gmd-7-1507-2014
- De Dominicis M., Falchetti S., Trotta F., Pinardi N., Giacomelli L., Napolitano, E., Fazioli L., Sorgente R., Haley P., Lermusiaux P., Martins F., Cocco M., 2014. "A Relocatable Ocean Model in support of environmental emergencies - The Costa Concordia emergency case". Ocean Dynamics, 64(5): 667-688, doi:10.1007/s10236-014-0705-x
- De Dominicis M., N. Pinardi, G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner, 2013. "MEDSLIK-II, a Lagrangian marine surface oil spill model for short-term forecasting - Part 1: Theory". Geosci. Model Dev., 6, 1851-1869, doi:10.5194/gmd-6-1851-2013
- De Dominicis M., N. Pinardi, G. Zodiatis, R. Archetti, 2013. "MEDSLIK-II, a Lagrangian marine surface oil spill model for short-term forecasting - Part 2: Numerical simulations and validations". Geosci. Model Dev., 6, 1871-1888, doi:10.5194/gmd-6-1871-2013
- Zodiatis, G. and Lardner, R. and Solovyov, D. Panayidou, X., De Dominicis, M., 2012. "Predictions for oil slicks detected from satellite images using MyOcean forecasting data". Ocean Science Discussions, Volume 9, Pages 1973–2000, doi:10.5194/osd-9-1973-2012
- Zodiatis, G., R. Lardner, M. De Dominicis, G. Coppini, N. Pinardi, S. Georgoudis and the MEDESS4MS partnership, 2012. “An advance forecasting system for ship originated oil spills in the Mediterranean”. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol.14, EGU2012-7037.
- Zodiatis. G., R. Lardner, G. Coppini, L. Perivoliotis, E. Georgoudis, N. Pinardi, M. De Dominicis, X. Panayidou and MEDESS4MS partners, 2012. “Operational Decision Support System For Marine Safety Dedicated to oil slicks Predictions”. World Maritime Technology Conference, 29 May-1 June, St. Petersburg.
- Coppini G., M. De Dominicis, N. Pinardi, M. Mancini, L. Caiazzo, R. Sorgente, E. Napolitano, R. Santoleri, A. Pisano, G. Gonzalez, 2012. "Mediterranean and Italian oil spill observing and forecasting systems". Science and Technology Workshop at JCOMM-4, Yeosu, Republic of Korea, 2425 May.
- Zodiatis, G., R. Lardner, D. Hayes, S. Stylianou, D. Solovyov, A. Nikolaidis, G. Georgiou, X. Panayidou, G. Konnaris, 2011. “MEDSLIK: an advance decision support system for marine safety in the European seas”. 8th Baltic Sea Science Congress, Book of Abstracts, 235p, St. Petersburg, Russia, 22-26 August.
- Zodiatis, G., R. Lardner, M. De Dominicis, N. Pinardi, G.Coppini, X. Panayidou, S. Stylianou, D. Hayes, D. Solovyov, G. Georgiou, 2011. “MEDSLIK oil spill prediction system assisting the response agencies in the southern European seas”. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol.13, EGU2011-6434, 2011.
- De Dominicis M., N. Pinardi, G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner, 2011. “Advanced marine oil spill modelling for short term forecasting and applications to the Mediterranean Sea.” EGU General Assembly 2011, Wien 03 – 08 April.
- De Dominicis, M., 2011. “Lagrangian study of hydrocarbons transport and dispersion in marine environment." Ph.D thesis, University "La Sapienza" of Rome
- Coppini, G., De Dominicis, M., Zodiatis, G., Lardner, R., Pinardi, N., Santoleri, R., Colella, S., Bignami, F., Hayes, D.R., Soloviev, D., Georgiou, G., Kallos, G., 2011. “Hindcast of oil spill pollution during the Lebanon Crisis, July-August 2006”. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 62, 140–153.
- De Dominicis, M., N. Pinardi, G. Coppini, G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner, 2010. “Coupled currents-oil spill modelling: MEDSLIK-II model implementation and validation”. 6th EuroGOOS Conference, Sustainable Operational Oceanography, Abstracts Book, 81p, Sopot, Poland, 4-6 October.
- De Dominicis M., N. Pinardi, G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner, 2010. “A model for short-term forecasts of hydrocarbon dispersion in the Mediterranean Sea”. Quaderno ARPA per il Secondo convegno Nazionale di Oceanografia Operativa, Cesenatico 27-28 May.
- Coppini G., M. De Dominicis, V. Lyubartsev, G. Gonzalez, 2010 “MOON Emergency Response Office: support to REMPEC for the management of oil spill emergencies at sea by providing monitoring and forecasting system products". Quaderno ARPA per il Secondo convegno Nazionale di Oceanografia Operativa, Cesenatico 27-28 May
- Santoleri R., F. Bignami, E. Böhm, F. Nirchio, M. De Dominicis, and PRIMI Cruise Group, 2010 “The PRIMI Project: August-September 2009 validation cruise on oil spill detection and fate.” SEASAR 2010, 25-29 January, ESA-ESRIN, Rome, Italy
- Nirchio F., G. Pandiscia, G. Ruggieri, A. Giancaspro, R. Santoleri, N. Pinardi, P. Trivero, C. Castellani, F. Tataranni, A. Masini, F. Bignami, M. De Dominicis and PRIMI Group, 2010. “The PRIMI Project: an interdisciplinary approach to oil spill monitoring.” SEASAR 2010, 25-29 January, ESA-ESRIN, Rome, Italy
- G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner, N. Pinardi, M. De Dominicis, G. Coppini, 2009. “The Moon Oil Spill Forecasting Service, Present and Future Status”. Sustainable Development in Southeast Europ, 16-18 June 2009, Tekirdag/Turkey Nam?k Kemal University Conference Hall.
- De Dominicis M., N. Pinardi, G. Coppini, G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner, R. Santoleri, 2009. “First examples of operational support in oil spill emergency cases in the Mediterranean Sea” The 41st International Liege Colloquium on Ocean Dynamics, Liège 2009, University Campus, May 4-8 2009
- De Dominicis M., N. Pinardi, G. Coppini, M. Tonani, A. Guarnieri, G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner, R. Santoleri, 2009 “Oil spill detection and forecasting using MOON real time data” Interspill conference 2009, 12-14 May 2009, Parc Chanot, Marseille, France
- Tonani M., A. Guarnieri, M. De Dominicis, G. Coppini, N. Pinardi, 2008. "Oil spill risk in the Adriatic Sea: an example of operational support capability in aid to the management of emergency". Rapporti Tecnici INGV N° 63.
- Zodiatis, G., Lardner, R., Hayes, D., Georgiou, G., Pinardi, N., De Dominicis, M., Panayidou, X., 2008. “The Mediterranean oil spill and trajectory prediction model in assisting the EU response agencies”. in: Congreso Nacional de Salvamento en la Mar, Cadiz, 2-4 October, libro de actas, pp. 535–547.
- Zodiatis, G., D. Hayes, R. Lardner, G. Georgiou. G. Kallos, S. Sofianos, N. Pinardi, X. Panayidou, 2008. “Marine core and downstream oceanographic services in the Eastern Mediterranean Levantine Basin and their success in assisting the EU response agencies”. 5th EuroGOOS Conference, Coastal to Global Operational Oceanography: Achievements and Challenges, Abstracts Book, 80p, Exeter, UK, 20-22 May.
- Brostrom G., A. Carrasco, P. Daniel, B. Hackett, R. Ladner, X. Payidou, D. Paradis, G. Zodiatis, 2008. “Comparison of different oil drift models and different ocean forcing with observed drifter trajectory in the Mediterranean”. 5th EuroGOOS Conference, Coastal to Global Operational Oceanography: Achievements and Challenges, Abstracts Book, 120p, Exeter, UK, 20-22 May.
- De Dominicis M., N. Pinardi, G. Coppini, G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner, 2008. “Oil spill forecasting in the Mediterranean Sea”. 5th EuroGOOS Conference, Coastal to Global Operational Oceanography: Achievements and Challenges, Abstracts Book, 152p, Exeter, UK, 20-22 May.
- Zodiatis, G., D. Hayes, R. Lardner, G. Georgiou, G. Kallos, S. Sofianos, N. Pinardi, X. Panayidou, 2008. “Coastal and sub-regional operational marine core and downstream services in the Mediterranean Levantine Basin and their success in assisting the EU response agencies”, IEEE CNF US/EU-Baltic.
- Zodiatis, G., R. Lardner, D. Hayes, D. Soloviev, G. Georgiou, 2007. “The successful application of the Mediterranean oil spill model in assisting the decision makers during the oil pollution crisis of Lebanon in summer 2006”. Rapp.Comm.int. Mer Medit., 214,38.
- Lardner, R., Zodiatis, G., Hayes, D., Pinardi, N., 2006. “Application of the MEDSLIK oil spill model to the Lebanese Spill of July 2006”. European Group of Experts on Satellite Monitoring of Sea Based Oil Pollution. European Communities.
- Zodiatis G., Lardner R., Georgiou G., Kallos G., Pinardi N., 2005. "Operational oil spill modeling predictions in the Mediterranean". 4th EuroGOOS Conference: European Operational Oceanography Present and Future, pp 131-132, Brest, 6-9 June.
- Zodiatis G., Lardner R., Hayes D., Georgiou G., Kallos G., Pinardi N., 2005. "Oil spill model predictions integrated with operational forecasting and observing systems in the Mediterranean" IMEΜS-The 8th International Marine Environmental Modeling Seminar, pp 58, Helsinki, 23-25 August, .
- Glyptou K., Fabbroni N., Giacomelli L., Pinardi N., Coppini G., Zodiatis G., Lardner R., 2005. “The Mediterranean Forecasting System in support of operational oil pollution risk mapping in the Adriatic sea”. MEDMAR - Mediterranean Ports & Maritime Conference, Ravenna, 26-28 October.
- Lardner, R., Zodiatis, G., Loizides, L., Demetropoulos, A., 1998. “An operational oil spill model for the Levantine Basin(Eastern Mediterranean Sea”. in: International Symposium on Marine Pollution.