An European funded project supporting the transition of 10 ENP South countries (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Occupied Palestinian Territory, Syria and Tunisia) towards low carbon development and climate resilience, in a context of sustainable and democratic development, by enhancing regional cooperation, information sharing and capacity development on climate change mitigation and adaptation.
4 years from 01/01/2013 to 31/12/2016
- Reinforcing dialogue and cooperation on climate change between the European Union and the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean countries.
- Supporting the transition of partner countries towards low carbon development and climate resilience, in a context of sustainable and democratic development.
- Enhancing regional cooperation, information sharing and capacity developments on climate change mitigation and adaptation, between the European Union and its Mediterranean neighbours.
- Organisation of a number of regional trainings and meetings on mitigation (e.g. monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) at national and sector level, including the establishment of national greenhouse gas inventories) and about adaptation (data management, vulnerability assessments, national adaptation strategies and plans);
- Organisation of workshops, trainings and study visits involving the main stakeholders involved in climate change policy development and implementation;
- Website in Arabic, English and French, as a platform for accessing and sharing information;
- Targeted climate change reports and materials in Arabic, English and French;
- Set up of a flexible expert facility to respond to information and training needs expressed by partner countries’ authorities.
A Side event at COP22 organized by the ClimaSouth Project on November 15, 2016 (h. 2.30 pm – 4.00 pm) “The European union in action: implementing the Paris agreement in the Southern Mediterranean”.
Improving Climate Information for Adaptation. 28-30 April, 2014 Lecce, Italy.
The seminar framed the opportunities and challenges in the region for enhancing climate information in order to improve vulnerability assessments and adaptation.
Interview with Yadh LABBENE – Adaptation Expert.
- Promoting north‐south as well south‐south cooperation on climate change issues, and support the coordination of the on‐going climate change actions in the region.
- Promoting a closer dialogue with the EU on climate change, better access to information and expertise on the EU climate policies and acquis.
- Strengthening the capacity of policy makers to engage in and to implement the upcoming global legal climate change framework post‐2012
- Strengthening the institutional capacity for strategic planning on climate change mitigation, including Monitoring Reporting and Verification (MRV), Low Emissions Development Strategies (LEDs), and Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMA);
- Strengthening the institutional capacity for strategic planning on climate change adaptation, in particular improving the use and sharing of data on climate science and economic development trends in a way that can enhance the capacity of beneficiary countries to elaborate well targeted adaptation strategies, further increase climate resilience, and mainstream climate change adaptation into other policies;
- Improving partner countries capacities to benefit from possible new or reviewed financing mechanisms;
- CMCC - Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change
- CIHEAM - IAM Bari
- Pescares Italia
- TYPSA Group
- Sviluppo Globale GEIE