XF-ACTORS wants establish an interdisciplinary research framework to answer the urgent need to improve prevention, early detection and control of Xylella fastidiosa (Xf) throughout EU territory.
48 months from 01/11/2016 to 31/10/2020
The main objective is to accomplish research and innovation actions to improve the prevention, early detection and control of Xf under different phytosanitary conditions (EU Implementing Decision 789/2015: “pest-free areas”, “buffer zones” and “infected zones”); and maximize the impacts of the EU research programs by ensuring coordination and integration amongst research groups and networks with long lasting experience and/or involved in ongoing international research programs on Xf.
Specific objectives are:
- Strengthen preventive measures by consolidating expertise and awareness of plant health agencies, decision-makers and relevant stakeholders.
- Develop techniques for the early detection of Xf symptoms from the leaf level to the landscape scale.
- Fill the research gaps on the Xf biology, population genetics, mechanisms of interaction with the host and xylem-sap feeder bio-ecology, to identify processes involving Xf vectoring and transmission.
- Develop new and innovative management strategies and establish an integrated framework of sustainable approaches aiming at minimizing the economic, environmental and social impacts of Xf infections in the EU territory.
- Integrate research data outcomes to develop pest risk assessment tools at a regional scale.
- Establish a platform for adequate results’ communication, dissemination and transfer across the various actors involved.
Besides Work Packages (WP) on Project Management and Communication, CMCC will participate in WP 3, 8 through:
- Climate projections analysis
- Olive tree high-frequency ecophysiological monitoring and data analysis
- Olive tree physical based modelling
- Strengthen preventive measures by promotion of integrated actions for rapid and efficient response against emerging outbreaks of Xf
- Development of efficient early detection surveillance programs
- Extensive knowledge on the biology, genetics and pathogen-host interactions
- Extend the knowledge on the vector biology, ecology and role in disease epidemiology
- Developing sustainable management strategies aimed at reducing the economic, environmental and social impacts
- Integrating research data on Xf and implementation of regional pest risk assessment
The following WP will be implemented by the project:
- Biology and genetics of relevant Xf strains
- Early detection of Xf symptoms using remote sensing
- Implementation of sampling schemes and innovative tools for early detection of Xf in host plants and insects
- Vector biology and ecology and role in disease epidemiology
- Innovative and sustainable approaches for bacterial control in the host plants
- Effective, innovative and sustainable approaches to prevent and minimize disease impact
- Regional risk assessment to anticipate the threat and impacts of Xf diseases
- Building capacity and competence to strengthen EU plant health regime
- CNR - Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
- CIHEAM - Center for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies
- UNIBA - Università degli studi di Bari
- INRA - Institut national de la recherche agronomique
- CSIC - Agencia Estatal Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas
- IVIA - Instituto valenciano de investigaciones agraria
- BPI - Benaki Phytopathological Institute
- JKI - Julius Kuhn-Institut Bundesforschungsinstitut fur Kulturpflanzen
- VL O - Vlaams Gewest
- UC - The Regents of the University of California
- IAC-CCSM - Agencia Paulista de Tecnologia dos Agronegocios
- NTU - National Taiwan University
- UCR - Universidad de Costa Rica
- NERC - Natural Environment Research Council
- IPB - Instituto Politécnico de Bragança
- USAL - The University of Salford
- CRA - Consiglio per la ricerca in agricoltura e l'analisi dell'economia agraria
- NVWA - Nederlandse Voedsel en Warenautoriteit
- IFAPA - Instituto Andaluz de Investigaciony Formacion Agraria Pesquera Alimentaria y de la Produccion Ecologica
- IFOAM EU GROUP - International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements European Union Regional Group
- Russell IPM Ltd
- Enbiotech Srl
- S-COM - Sustainable Communication Aisbl
- NAKTUINBOU - Stichting Nederlandse Algemene Kwaliteitsdienst Tuinbouw
- Civi-Italia - Centro Interprofessionale per le attività vivaistiche
- JRC - Joint Research Center