The sector of aquaculture has been recording constant growth trends at global level triggered by the progressive increase in world population and the resulting growing demand for food. The consumption of fish products has grown by 27% over the last ten years, and FAO estimates that aquaculture will meet 62% of global food demand in 2030.
fish RISE project aims to develop innovative systems allowing fish farmers to increase
productivity, through the design and implementation of a wide methodology and technology framework for land-based and offshore aquaculture, to be sustainable both economically and, above all, environmentally.
28 months from 01/09/2021 to 31/12/2023
The purpose of fish RISE is to increase economic social and environmental sustainability of aquaculture through the design and development of a wide methodological and technological framework for technological land-based and offshore aquaculture. The implementation of the framework solutions will follow a
Multidisciplinary approach so as to deal with the problem from multiple points of view by identifying the excellent solution in terms of methodologies and technologies developed solutions will contribute to the creation of 2 Prototypes of sustainable technology assisted production systems in land-based and offshore aquaculture.
In order to give to the project a holistic structure, fish RISE aims to achieve 3 Macro Specific Objectives:
- Food system: creation of technologies and methodologies to ensure the quality of edible products and other biotechnological (biopolymer) derivatives produced by the fish RISE platform;
- Health management system: creation of technologies and methodologies to ensure the farmed fish health and growth, by controlling and monitoring the production environment;
- Control and management system: creation of technologies and methodologies to ensure the functioning of the structure with respect to the external environment and the relationship between the farmed fishes and the external environment.
Main task of CMCC will be the development of the weather marine forecast system, including global and regional forecasts, biogeochemical model and seasonal forecasts. Moreover, a decision support system (DSS) for aquaculture will be developed and all data and applications will be made available in a portal accessible through the web.
Main project activities include:
- Analysis and background definition of knowledge methodologies and technologies for assisted land-based and offshore aquaculture;
- Design and development of the food system, to ensure the quality of the edible products and derivatives of biotechnological interest
- Design and development of the health management system, for the production systems controlling and monitoring;
- Development of the integrated land-based aquaculture system in its prototype version;
- Development of the structural components of the offshore aquaculture cage;
- Development of the information system that allows monitoring and managing production structures;
- Development of a weather marine forecast system for offshore cage;
- Integration of the different components and operations
fish RISE will allow to monitor fish behavior according to habitat parameters, presence of nutrients, use of natural or artificial light, thanks to an ICT system for continuing monitoring, control and implementation, with the aim of both getting automatic information on biomass state and farming habitat – previously collected through sampling or human activities (whose results required longer waiting time), and improving the management of production processes and the aquaculture system itself. Moreover, the project will allow a smarter use of water, nutrients and processing waste, and to diversify the process outcomes.
- Università del Salento
- Università degli Studi del Piemonte Orientale, Amedeo Avogadro
- Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia
- Apphia S.r.l.
- Università degli Studi della Tuscia
- Badinotti Group S.p.A.
- Fondazione Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici, Fondazione CMCC
- Istituto Cooperativo di Ricerca Soc.Coop.
- Maricoltura Mattinatese Società Cooperativa Agricola
- Istituto superiore per la protezione e la ricerca ambientale