The CMCC is taking into consideration the possibility to hire a talented, motivated and proactive researcher to support ocean modelling and reanalysis activities.
This job announcement is a public invitation to express interest for the above mentioned CMCC Position.
The location is CMCC Ocean Modelling and Data Assimilation (ODA) Division in Bologna, Italy.
The primary purposes for this position is to perform research, development and assessment of the reanalysis system currently used at CMCC in the framework of the Mediterranean Forecasting Centre for Copernicus Marine Service. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be asked to support transitions of research to operations activities related to the reanalysis (e.g. production, validation).
The role includes: ocean circulation model and data assimilation development, implementation and analysis with a particular focus on model reanalysis in the Mediterranean Sea regional configuration based on NEMO model.
The desired qualifications are:
- PhD in Physics, Physical Oceanography, Applied Mathematics, or related disciplines with a research background in oceanography and/or data assimilation;
- Knowledge of programming languages (i.e. Fortran);
- Good knowledge of software (such as Python, NCO, CDO, MatLab, R, etc.);
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux operating systems and script languages;
- Fluency in English.
Furthermore, it is welcome that candidates have as much as possible of the following experience:
- Experiences with data assimilation techniques for geophysical fields;
- Hands-on experience with ocean numerical modeling, experience with the NEMO modeling platform being an advantage;
- Experience with operational forecasting systems, from input data quality control to evaluation of analyses and reanalysis quality;
- Experience of parallel programming on supercomputers and knowledge of the NetCDF libraries;
- Good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
Belonging to legally protected categories (ex L. 68/99) will constitute a preferential condition.
The initial appointment is for 24 months starting from November 2020 at an annual salary ranging from 28 to 35K Euros for a post-doc and from 36 to 42 kEUR for a junior scientist, comprehensive of benefits, depending on qualification and experience.
How to Apply
Applicants should register to CMCC JAM (Job Application Manager) website and fill the online form following the link below:
Applicants responding to this posting declare that they have read, understood and agreed to the “Official Rule for the CMCC Personnel recruitment” .